About & Features
- Format your text bold, italic or underlined
- Insert Images, files and links to websites
- Links and mail addresses are recognized automatically
- Spell Check on Linux
- Automatic saving
- Backup to zip archive
- Word Clouds with most often used words and tags
- Export the journal to PDF, HTML, Latex or plain text
- The data is stored in plain text files, no database is needed
- Translated into more than 30 languages
RedNotebook is a modern journal
It includes a calendar navigation, customizable templates, export functionality and word clouds. You can also format, tag and search your entries. RedNotebook is Free Software under the GPL.
RedNotebook 1.1 on Ubuntu
RedNotebook 1.1 - Preview Mode
Version 1.7.1 released - 2013-03-01
- Fix: Insert spellchecking correction in the correct position (LP:1137925).
Version 1.7.0 released - 2013-02-28
- Allow filtering exported days by tags (Alistair Marshall).
- Add option to export only the currently selected text (Alistair Marshall).
- Move spellcheck option from preferences to edit menu and add F7 shortcut (Alistair Marshall).
- Enable spellchecking on Windows. See help for adding custom dictionaries.
- Better error message for invalid markup.
- Show warning if no directory is selected before clicking the "Open" button when choosing a journal directory.
- Gracefully handle BadStatusLines when checking for new versions.
- Do not try to set file permissions on Windows where they are unavailable.
- Fix hide-from-cloud for words containing backslashes (LP:1131412).
- Fix relative file links on Windows.
- Code: Switch from optparse to argparse (Alistair Marshall).
Version 1.6.6 released - 2013-01-21
- Edit templates in RedNotebook directly. Preview and use the Insert and Format toolbar menus before inserting a template.
- Support relative image links like [""my_pic"".jpg].
- Add Ctrl+Return shortcut for adding manual linebreaks.
- Let all toolbar menus always open the menu before performing an action.
- Change Go-To-Today shortcut to Alt+Home (Ctrl+Home moves cursor to the start of the text).
- Do not allow choosing an empty name for templates.
- Do not parse #include as a hashtag.
- Add info about network drives to help text.
- Fix help text about links to local directories.
- Fix: Let categories pane use new infobar notifications (LP:1098625).
Version 1.6.5 released - 2012-12-27
- Add menu item for clearing the text format.
- Add toolbar menus "Insert" and "Format" to main menu for better accessibility and HUD integration.
- Only show keyboard shortcuts in main menu, not in toolbar menus.
- Use selected text as link name when a new link is inserted.
- When an image or file is inserted, use selected text as the name of the link.
- Format selected text as header when a header is inserted.
- Convert selected text to a list when a list is inserted.
- Select title after it has been inserted to allow for easy editing.
- Change file permissions so that journal files are only readable by the user.
- Windows: Restore slider positions after opening RedNotebook from the tray.
- Windows: Support non-ascii installation paths.
Version 1.6.4 released - 2012-12-22
- Never include previous RedNotebook backups in new backups.
- Add strikethrough shortcut Ctrl+K.
- By default don't switch between edit and preview mode automatically.
- Add experimental support for irc protocol.